Monday 2 March 2009

The Altermodern - What came after Postmodernism?

Altermodern, and thus I guess, our move to Altermodernism, was originally described for me by the Tate in London and in the local free underground (in the tube) news on the Tate.

For the past ten years I have been concerned with postmodernity, a condition we were once not so familiar with, we did not know what to do with, and then we came to develop. Postmodernity has left us with an aftertaste, a taste for finding new deconstructions and critiques to the genealogies of power and governance. An aftertase of some kind of vague reminisence of taste. I keep re-assessing the feeling of my tongue with a sense that the original taste is now evading me.

For the past three years I have been asking Anna, and she has asked me...what after Postmodernism? what is there after Postmodernism, what do we call this period...clearly it is still postmodern but it is already an aftertaste of it.

A month back I went home and I said to Anna. I know our new period. It is the Altermodern.

Anna answered back: yeah, I heard a rumor...how would you explain Altermodernity then?

This is the attempt to look at altermodernity (from the point of view of anthropology, that is)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.